Currently you can find video and blog development updates here.
After launch any game update notes will be found here as well!
Thanks for checking out our page.
Holy crap, I finally got it done. Here’s a new video of our current build of DotO. Lots of new stuff to see since the last one.
Ben and Nyka have been working for a while designing all of the mobs for Dungeons of the Obelisk. We have quite a few drawn, some animated, and only two in the actual game.
Until now! Our resident Digital Alchemist, Tj, has turned his attention to getting more mobs into the actual game. Starting with the big boy tank mob, Blub, and everybody’s sure to be favorite clever girl, Sludgesaurus.
Both of these mobs are considered “specialists” as they fill a certain roll on the enemy team. Blub is a tank and focuses almost entirely on having as much Health as possible. Blub can still pack a good punch, but they’re also very slow so you should have time to see it coming.
Sludgesaurus on the other hand is all about doing damage. Their “Spit” attack hits hard, but they can also “Anticipate” your movements and increase their Critical Hit Chance.
If you’re looking at the image above and wondering why Puke Rats and Blubs are still in black and white, well that’s something we had planned early on. We were going to allow the code to color the mobs with shaders to allow for different colors and recycling mobs. For example, maybe a blue Glub would show up and have different abilities.
We pretty quickly decided against this idea. Ben’s skills at coloring would go to waste and shaders just cant color as good as Ben can. So we just need to get the Puke Rat and Blub animations re-skinned with the updated colored versions. This should happen as soon as Nyka wraps up work on the current batch of mob animations.
Building a game like this is lots of small steps that keep adding up. There is always something new to do and some new challenge to overcome. Each decision can impact the future look, feel, and direction of the game.
Now that Blub and Sludgesaurus have joined up with Glub and Puke Rat, we just have the healer mob, Rot Bat, and the Dungeon Boss, who still goes unnamed…
Hope that gives you some fun info about the new mobs. I hope to share the Rot Bat details with you all soon! Talk to you next week!
Hello again, time for my
SaturdayMonday DotO Blog Update! A lot has happened in the past week. Most of it has been bug fixes and things are really running smooth now. (Perhaps I will find the time to make a new video soon…)
For today, I thought I’d give you all the run down on our “Minor Stats” since we finally have them all programmed and working! They have taken the depth of the game to a new level of playtesting and are turning out to work really well, even at the lower starting levels.
We’re not breaking much new ground in game design here, as most of these things are in a lot of other games. But I do feel that we have a great batch of stats to play with that will allow for some really fun character builds and strategies!
And what better way to present our Minor Stats than with a nice bulleted list!
- Area Damage – A percent chance to also deal 20% of an attack’s damage to all other enemies.
- Critical Chance – This is a percent chance that you will deal increased damage per your Critical Damage stat. Critical Hits also Ignore Damage Reduction.
- Critical Damage – How much extra damage a Critical Hit will deal. Base Critical Damage is 50%.
- Damage vs Elites – A percentage increase to all damage done to elite enemies.
- Double Attack – This is the percent chance that your attack will hit twice.
- Physical Damage Boost – A percent increase to Physical Damage dealt by an attack.
- Block Chance – This is a percent chance that you will receive only 50% damage from an attack.
- Damage Reduction – This is a percent of damage that you will not take from an incoming Physical attack.
- Dodge Chance – This is a percent chance that you will receive no damage from an attack.
- Health Regenerate – Percent of Max Health that is regained per turn.
- Lifesteal – This is a percent of your Damage dealt that is returned back as Health.
- Mana Cost Reduction – A percent reduction to the Mana Cost of attacks.
- Mana Regenerate – The rate of Mana that is gained per turn. Base rate is 10%.
- Revitalize – This is a percent chance that you will regain the Mana you used for an attack.
- Thorns – This is the percent of damage that you will deal back when you are hit by an attack.
- Focus Damage – This is an increase to your attack damage. It is only available on Offhand Focuses.
- Shield Reduction – This is a decrease of incoming damage. It is only available on Offhand Shields.
As you can see, lots of options and a lot that can happen each turn. If you have any specific questions, always feel free to jump in our Discord Server and chat with us!
See you next week!
We’re podcasting again after a bit of a break. You can check out all the old and new episodes below, through Spotify, Apple Podcasts, RSS, or almost any other way you enjoy your podcasts.
In episode 14, we have a full crew for our podcast return! Joe, Ben, and Nyka are joined by our new Digital Alchemist, Tj! We talk about new updates to the game, bug fixes and polish, plus a little TMI about the new mob, Snek.
It’s been a while since I’ve done my regular Saturday DotO Blog Update. In fact, it’s been over 4 months since it’s been done properly. I am really going to apply myself and try to get back in the swing of things.
I’m well on my way recovering from my back injury. And we’ve kicked DotO back into high gear in the past couple weeks. The biggest news is our newest addition to the team, Tj! He is our new Digital Alchemist here at Knob Cat Games and he has hit the ground running.
It’s been about 3 weeks and Tj has gone through and commented our entire code base. It’s a necessary step in case we ever need another person to join the team.
Tj has also applied a ton of bug fixes and polish to the game. Some things we sorely needed. Like a button to clear your inventory, which makes testing so much easier. Also, those pesky Puke Rats no longer dodge attacks! That’s been a reoccurring bug for months now.
Another exciting update, we now have most of our minor stats working. We only had about half of them done in the last version. Now we have Area Damage, Damage Against Elites, Double Attack, Health Regenerate, Lifesteal, Mana Cost Reduction, and Thorns! These have made a huge difference to the feel of the game. I’ll probably go into more detail on all of these in a future update.
Tj has also changed the font in the entire game. It’s something small and hard to explain when just writing about it here. But it has made a huge difference in the look and feel. Everything from battle numbers, to inventory, and menus all look so much more cohesive.
This blog update has a lot about Tj in it and we are super happy to have him on the team. But don’t worry! Everyone else has been hard at work. Ben and Nyka have several new mobs that are in the process of drawing and animating. I’ll get into more about them in a future update.
That’s it for now. Don’t forget to jump in the discord and welcome Tj to the team. Keep an eye out for the new podcast episode and hopefully we’ll have more fun stuff to show you soon!